How To Sell A Salvage Car In Georgia is an independent publisher. You will find affiliate links which means we may earn a commission if you purchase through these links. It doesn't cost you anything & it helps us keep the site running.

Selling a salvage car in Georgia can be short and sweet! Let’s discuss how to sell your salvage car in the Peach State.

What is a Salvage Car in Georgia?

A salvage car has sustained extensive damage but can be repaired to Georgia’s safety standards to be able to be driven on the road and highways. Salvage cars are NOT junk cars.

In Georgia, your car is considered a salvage if your vehicle:

  • Is damaged (sometimes referred to as “dismantled”) to the point that making it operable again will require replacing at least 2 component parts, which can include:
    • Front clip assembly (including the hood, fender, and bumper)
    • Rear clip assembly (including the quarter panels, floor panel, and roof assembly)
    • Engine and transmission
    • Frame
    • Vehicle’s complete side (including the quarter panel, doors, and fenders)
  • Insurance company paid a total loss claim and the vehicle remains unrepaired
  • Currently has an out-of-state title branded “salvage”, “total loss”, “flood”, “water”, or “fire”

How Do You Sell a Salvage Car in Georgia?

It’s not illegal in the state of Georgia to buy and sell salvage title vehicles. However, salvage title vehicles can NOT legally be operated on highways or public roadways. If you’re wondering why it’s because salvage title cars are deemed unsafe for road use. Be advised that it may be difficult to insure the car once it’s rebuilt. However, operating a car without auto insurance is illegal.

If you’re on the know-how side of things when it comes to mechanics, you can choose to rebuild your vehicle before you try to sell it. A salvage car becomes eligible to be registered when it is rebuilt to GA’s auto safety standards. You can also obtain license plates and insure the car once it is rebuilt.

You can also choose not to rebuild the vehicle. If you take this route, you can sell your vehicle for parts, or sell the car as-is. Make sure you disclose the current condition of the car, including mentioning the car’s salvage title. If this option is still not a good fit, you can also sell your salvage car to a scrap yard. Keep in mind that you won’t receive top dollar, but the upside to selling your car to a salvage yard is the sale is quick and guaranteed, which is the ideal option if you want to get rid of the car quickly without a lot of hassles.

Regardless of who you sell the car to, you must be upfront and honest about the car’s title. Misrepresenting the car to a buyer could land you in court, facing lawsuits and fraud charges.

How is a Salvage Title Different from a Junk Title?

Don’t worry if you confuse a salvage car title with a junk car title, most people do. However, although both car titles share similarities, they are two different things. While a salvage title car CAN be repaired and rebuilt, a car with a junk title can NOT.

Regardless of any repairs you attempt to make on a junk car, the “junk” label will NOT be removed from that particular car. The junk title signifies the end of a car’s life and must be junked.

Who Buys Salvage Cars Near Me?

Good question! If you’re going to sell your car to a Georgia salvage yard, you need to know where to go. We couldn’t list all the salvage yards in Georgia, but the handful we’ve listed below will give you a good start.

B&W Salvage
24160 GA Highway 46 W
Metter, GA 30439
(800) 284-6626
Monday – Friday (8 AM – 5 PM)
Saturday (8 AM – 11:30 AM)
Sunday (Closed)

Johnson Auto Salvage
1029 County Line Rd
Griffin, GA 30224
(770) 227-4244
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday (8:30 AM – 5:30 PM)
Wednesday (8:30 AM – 12 PM)
Saturday (8:30 AM – 2 PM)
Sunday (Closed)

Peacock’s Auto Salvage
919 Highway 49
Macon, GA 31211
(478) 743-2484
Monday – Friday (8 AM – 5 PM)
Saturday and Sunday (Closed)

Richard’s Auto Salvage
4792 Old Westside Rd
Austell, GA 30106
(770) 948-1555
Monday – Friday (8:30 AM – 5 PM)
Saturday and Sunday (Closed)

Can You Insure a Salvage Title Car in Georgia?

No. You can NOT obtain auto insurance for a salvage car. Be advised that you can NOT legally operate a salvaged car on Georgia roads until you apply for a salvage title (Form MV-1) click here to download. The vehicle must also be rebuilt to an operable condition. Salvage cars must also pass an inspection. You are responsible for applying for a rebuilt title. Once the car passes inspection, you will be able to obtain a new license plate and possibly obtain auto insurance for the car.

Can I Salvage My Car Without a Title in Georgia?

Yes. You can salvage your car without a title in the state of Georgia. You must disclose all information regarding the car’s condition to all potential buyers, including not having the car’s title. If it is later discovered that the car is a salvage without the buyer’s knowledge, you could face serious legal consequences.

You may not have the title to your car for the following reasons:

  • It’s a salvage vehicle
  • The bank still possesses the title to your car
  • The car title has been misplaced or severely damaged
  • You bought (or were gifted) the car without its title

You can still sell your car, so no worries. If you plan on selling your salvage car to a private buyer or dealership, you may want to consider replacing the car’s title.

If you’re selling your car to a scrap yard, you don’t have to do as much to get everything finalized. Most scrap yards will purchase your vehicle for parts, even without the title. However, there are exceptions. Selling your car without the title could mean that you receive less money, but you can still get rid of the car.

Applying for a Duplicate Title in Georgia

You can apply for a vehicle title by mail or in person at your local Georgia Department of Revenue (GA DOR) for a duplicate car title.

You can receive a replacement title for your car by completing the following:

  • Complete a Title/Tag Application (Form MV-1). You DO NOT need to list or record any lien release or security interest information on your application.
  • Submit a Lien Release (Form T-4) for each lienholder (if your lien has been satisfied) – If you did NOT apply for a clear title when the lien was satisfied, the GA DOR will still have the lien recorded on your title.
  • Have your current valid GA driver’s license or ID card
  • Surrender your damaged title (if applicable)
  • Pay the $8 replacement fee

All vehicle owners that are listed on the original title must visit the local Tax Commissioner’s office together to complete the application or you will need to get a limited power of attorney from the owners who can’t appear in person.

How Do You Register a Salvage Title Car in Georgia?

A salvaged title car must endure the rebuilt inspection process before a rebuilt title is issued for the required vehicle. To obtain a rebuilt vehicle, you need to do the following:

  • Be a licensed rebuilder – anyone who purchases a salvage or wrecked vehicle to restore or rebuild must be a licensed rebuilder.
  • Pass inspection – when the vehicle is restored but is painted, it is required to pass inspection by an approved private inspector or station.

To apply for a rebuilt title and vehicle inspection, you must submit the following to an approved private inspector or station:

  • One or more photographs of the vehicle in its salvaged/wrecked condition BEFORE repairs are made
  • Completed and signed Georgia Title/Tag Application (Form MV-1)
  • Original valid salvage title issued in the vehicle owner’s name or properly assigned to the owner
  • Completed and signed Request for Inspection of a Rebuilt Motor Vehicle (Form T-22R)
  • Completed and Signed Labor and Parts Certification (Form T-129)

You must also provide receipts for new or used parts that are used to restore or rebuild the vehicle, including:

  • Part names and stock numbers
  • Show the vehicle owner or rebuilder as the purchaser of the parts (the rebuilder’s name, as shown on the parts receipts must be shown on the Labor and Parts Certification (Form T-129).
  • For used parts, you must show the part name and the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle from which the part was taken
    • The parts from which the part was taken must have a title on file with the GA DOR or submitted at the time of the application
    • If the parts are from a different state, you must provide a letter of certification from the other state
  • A copy of the rebuilder’s license
  • Payment for the $100 inspection fee

All the above items must be available at the time of inspection. The vehicle must be towed, not driven to the inspection site. Once the vehicle passes inspection, the above paperwork along with the inspector’s report and registration must be submitted with the $118 payment made payable to the Department of Revenue. This fee includes the $18 title fee and $100 state inspection fee).

You can mail this payment to:

DOR/Motor Vehicle Division
ATTN: Salvage Unit
P.O. Box 749384
Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0384

Vehicles must endure the rebuilding process if:

  • Branded “Salvage” in Georgia
  • Out-of-state branded “Salvage”, “Flood”, “Water”, “Fire”, or “Total Loss”
  • Tractor cab restored with a glider kit

If the out-of-state title is branded as “rebuilt” or “restored” (this indicates that the vehicle is no longer in a damaged condition) the rebuilt vehicle procedures must be completed except for the following:

  • Photographs of the vehicle in its salvaged/wrecked condition
  • Receipts for the parts used to restore the vehicle
  • Labor and Parts Certification (Form T-129)

You now know what it takes to sell a salvage title car in Georgia. Good luck!