How to Sell a Salvage Car in New Hampshire is an independent publisher. You will find affiliate links which means we may earn a commission if you purchase through these links. It doesn't cost you anything & it helps us keep the site running.

Are you ready to sell your salvage car? You can also keep your salvage car, but there’s a certain time when you need to make this decision: during your auto insurance settlement claim. We’ll walk you through the documents you’ll need and the fees you’ll be required to pay based on your decision. Let’s get started!

How Is a Salvage Car Defined in New Hampshire?

In New Hampshire, the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) considers a vehicle salvaged if your auto insurance provider deems it a total loss because of damage or unrecovered theft. In this instance, if your car is deemed a salvage because of damage, which means the cost to repair the car exceeds the car’s fair market value before the accident occurred. Once your vehicle is considered a total loss, whoever retains ownership is required to apply for a New Hampshire salvage title.

New Hampshire Total Loss Claims

Once your auto insurance company deems your vehicle a total loss, you can accept a partial or full auto insurance settlement claim. We’ll discuss both types of settlement claims so you’ll know which claim you need to accept based on what you want to do with your vehicle.

Full Settlement Claim

Accepting a full settlement claim means your auto insurance provider will keep your totaled vehicle and pay you in full for the damages. This type of claim is your ideal claim if you want to replace your vehicle with a car of the same make and model.

Partial Settlement Claim

If you accept a partial settlement claim, you will be paid for partial damages and keep your car. This is the settlement claim you will choose if you plan on rebuilding your vehicle and obtaining a New Hampshire rebuilt car title.

New Hampshire Salvage Title Eligibility Requirements

As the vehicle’s owner, you are eligible to apply for the car’s salvage certificate IF your vehicle was declared a total loss by your auto insurance company. For a vehicle to be declared a total loss and be eligible for a salvage title in New Hampshire, the vehicle must be an unrecovered stolen vehicle or a vehicle that has been damaged by fire, water, collision, or another occurrence to the extent that:

  • The vehicle can’t physically be repaired, or it is uneconomical to conduct the required repairs after an auto insurance claim is filed.
  • The cost to repair the vehicle exceeds 74% of the vehicle’s actual value before it sustained damages in its first 5 model years.

Specific vehicle types are exempt from this New Hampshire title law. Your vehicle will qualify for a salvage title ONLY if it is a non-exempt vehicle.

Can You Sell a Salvage Car in New Hampshire?

You can sell a salvage car in New Hampshire. However, you must have the required paperwork, such as the car’s salvage title, bill of sale, and other necessary paperwork to be able to legally sell the vehicle.

What Is Salvage Title Fraud?

Avoid salvage title fraud at all costs! Salvage title fraud is when a seller knowingly sells a salvage titled vehicle without disclosing this information to the buyer, which is why many states have adopted a Lemon Law. As the car’s owner, you are responsible for disclosing all available information about the car, including its salvage brand. Failure to disclose salvage title information could result in a variety of fines and penalties.

Is a Bill of Sale Required to Sell a Salvage Car in New Hampshire?

Yes. You must have a completed bill of sale to sell your salvage car in New Hampshire. Once your vehicle is declared a salvage, you must submit the following to the Title Bureau in Concord:

  • An Application for Salvage Certificate
  • A check or money order for $10 made payable to “State of NH-DMV)
  • The original car title to properly transfer the vehicle’s title

What Information Should Be Included in the New Hampshire Bill of Sale?

A bill of sale is an essential legal document you can use as a receipt for selling your vehicle. This document shows that a transaction took place, and you should keep it for your records. Make sure you have the following information on your New Hampshire bill of sale:

  • Names and addresses (buyer and seller)
  • Description of the vehicle and the vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • Date of transfer
  • Signatures (buyer and seller)
  • Current odometer reading

New Hampshire Salvage Vehicle Restrictions

Like most states, New Hampshire has salvage vehicle restrictions. In New Hampshire, it is illegal to operate a salvage-branded vehicle. Also, you can’t sell a salvage-branded vehicle without the car’s title. If you don’t have the car’s title, you must apply for a duplicate car title. To add to this, if your car has a junk title, this does NOT mean your vehicle is a salvage.

Can You Sell a Salvaged Car Without Its Title in New Hampshire?

You won’t be able to sell your salvaged car without the title. If you no longer have the car’s title, you’ll need to complete the proper forms to obtain your New Hampshire duplicate car title. Here’s what you need to know. If your vehicle has a lien on it, the duplicate title will be mailed to the lienholder.

You can apply for a duplicate New Hampshire title by mail or in person at your local or any other NH DMV branch. To receive your duplicate car title, you must do the following:

  • Complete an Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form TDMV-18). If your vehicle is jointly owner, ALL vehicle owners are required to sign the application for a duplicate title.
  • Provide your driver’s license number (or the driver’s license number of all owners, including yourself)
  • Payment for the $25 duplicate title fee (must be paid by check or money order)

You can submit the required documents and payment to your local DMV branch or mail everything to the following address:

NH Department of Safety
DMV-Title Bureau
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

Your physical duplicate car title will be mailed to you. If your vehicle has a lien, you must also include a completed Release of Lien or Other Encumbrances (Form TDMV 20A).

How Do I Get a New Hampshire Salvage Title?

To apply for a salvage car title in New Hampshire, you must submit the following items in person or by mail to the Title Bureau at the Concord DMV branch within 20 days of accepting a partial settlement:

  • The original car title properly endorsed
  • A completed Application for Salvage Certificate (Form TDMV-24)
  • A check or money order made payable to “State of NH DMV” for the $10 salvage title fee

Once everything has been approved, you will receive your New Hampshire salvage title. After you receive your car’s salvage title, you can rebuild your car. You can apply for a rebuilt car title if your vehicle passes inspection.

New Hampshire Salvage Car Inspections

After you’ve made the necessary repairs to your salvage vehicle, it must pass the New Hampshire vehicle inspection before you will be eligible to apply for a rebuilt car title. You must take your repaired vehicle to a state-approved salvage vehicle inspection location by having it towed on a flatbed, or by driving it after you obtain a temporary plate. Temporary vehicle plates are valid for 20 days. Contact your local NH DMV branch for the requirements to obtain this type of license plate.

The New Hampshire salvage inspection is performed to verify the vehicle’s VIN and to ensure you’ve repaired the damage listed on the insurance adjuster’s report. These salvage vehicle inspections also check that specific vehicle components are safe and meet legal standards.

You must provide the following at your New Hampshire salvage inspection:

  • Proof of ownership for the vehicle (in most situations, proof of ownership is the salvaged title. However, certain situations may require a letter from the NH DMV instead.)
  • Your auto insurance adjuster’s report that itemizes the damages and their projected repair costs
  • Proof you’ve made the necessary repairs to your salvaged vehicle (this proof can include an invoice for work performed by a mechanic or receipts for replacement vehicle parts)
  • Any other applicable documents that prove your vehicle was declared a total loss and you made the required repairs
  • A check or money order made payable to the “State of NH DMV) for the $50 New Hampshire salvage vehicle inspection fee

Once your rebuilt vehicle passes inspection, the inspector will give you a Salvage Vehicle Identification Number Verification Form (Form DSMV 547). Keep this form because you’ll need it when you apply for your rebuilt car title.

Be advised that salvage vehicle inspections are not safety inspections. Your vehicle must pass a safety inspection once it’s been retitled and registered.

New Hampshire Vehicle Registration Fees

The vehicle registration fees in New Hampshire are based on the vehicle’s weight, model, and year. Here’s a breakdown of the vehicle fees in New Hampshire.

State Fees

  • 0 to 3,000 lbs.: $31.20
  • 3,001 to 5,000 lbs.: $43.20
  • 5,001 to 8,000 lbs.: $55.20
  • 8,001 to 73,280 lbs.: $.96 per 100 lbs.

The city fees in New Hampshire vary, so check with your local NH DMV for current vehicle city registration fees. The registration fees in this state decrease for each year old the vehicle is. In addition to the registration fees, there is an $8 plate fee for the first time you order your plates. The New Hampshire vehicle title fee is $252, and the annual fee for your plates is $852.

What is the Difference Between Salvage, Rebuilt, and Junk Titles?

It’s easy to get salvage-branded titles confused with junk titles. Salvage and rebuilt titles are known as salvage-branded titles. Whereas junk titles are junk. Cars that have a salvage or rebuilt title can be repaired and driven again. Your car will start with a salvage title, as deemed by your auto insurance provider.

The rebuilt title is what your vehicle will be assigned once you repair the vehicle to New Hampshire’s safety standards. Cars that have a junk title can only be junked by selling them to a junkyard or salvage yard. Also, cars that have a junk title don’t have the option to be repaired.

Who Buys Salvage Cars Near Me in New Hampshire?

There are a lot of different salvage yards in New Hampshire, so we’ll list a handful of these locations to help point you in the right direction.

John’s Truck & Auto Salvage
71 New Boston Rd.
Kingston, NH 03848
(800) 894-4361
Monday – Friday (8 AM – 5 PM)
Saturday (8 AM – 1 PM)
Sunday (Closed)

Lamberts Auto & Truck Recyclers Inc.
2 Salmon Falls Rd.
Rochester, NH 03868
(603) 332-6600
Monday – Friday (8 AM – 4:15 PM)
Saturday (8 AM – 11:30 AM)
Sunday (Closed)

Northwood Auto Salvage
690 1st Nh Tpke
Northwood, NH 03261
(603) 942-6105
Monday – Friday (8 AM – 4:15 PM)
Saturday and Sunday (Closed)

Camaro Heaven/Drew Auto Parts
112 Clark Rd.
Tilton, NH 03276
(603) 286-8855
Monday – Friday (9 AM – 5 PM)
Saturday (9 AM – 2 PM)
Sunday (Closed)

When Will I Be Eligible to Obtain Auto Insurance for My Salvage Car?

Good question! However, don’t confuse a salvage car title with a rebuilt car title. If your car still has a salvage title and not a rebuilt car title, you won’t be able to obtain auto insurance for the car. However, once your car is approved for a rebuilt car title, you can apply for an auto insurance policy.

Can I Salvage My Car Without a Title in New Hampshire?

You won’t be able to proceed in the salvage car-selling process without the car’s title. If you have misplaced the car’s title, you’ll have to apply for a duplicate car title at your local NH DMV.

How Can I Sell My Salvage Car in New Hampshire?

There are different ways you can sell your salvage car. However, as the car’s owner and seller, you are responsible for disclosing that you are selling a salvage-branded vehicle. Failure to disclose salvage-branded information about the car can result in avoidable penalties and fees!

Private Sale

The private sale of salvage-branded vehicles is common. In a private sale, you will sell your vehicle to another person instead of a junkyard or salvage yard. With the internet’s help, you can post an ad for your vehicle on popular car-selling sites, such as Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, to have your vehicle viewed by hundreds, if not thousands of buyers. When you’re creating your car’s ad, make sure you include as much information about the vehicle as possible. Post pictures of the vehicle from all angles so buyers can see the damage. Make sure you have the car’s title!

Salvage Yard or Junkyard

If you’re in a hurry, selling your car to a salvage yard or junkyard is a great option. You’ll need your car’s title, and the car, of course. You can use one of the locations above to sell your vehicle. In most situations, you can schedule your appointment online, and the junkyard or salvage yard will send a tow truck to pick up your vehicle. You can receive your money in as little as 72 hours or less.

Selling for Parts

You can also sell your car for parts. If you want to get the most money for your salvaged vehicle in New Hampshire, your best bet is to sell your car’s parts. You can hire a mechanic for help if you don’t know your way around a car too well. A mechanic can also give you an idea of how much each car part costs.

Selling As-Is

Selling your salvage car as-is, is your best option if you want to get rid of your car as quickly as possible. Selling your car as-is means you don’t have to worry about repairing your car, ensuring the car passes inspection, or applying for a rebuilt car title. Once you sign over your car’s title to the new buyer, the salvage car is no longer your responsibility.

Common Difficulties That Can Occur When Selling a Salvage-Branded Vehicle in New Hampshire

Depending on the selling method you choose, you will have to put in a little effort to sell your salvage car. However, with any selling method you choose, you may notice that you will have to jump through a few more hoops to sell your salvage car than you would if you were selling a clean-titled car. Why? Since you are selling a salvage car, the NH DMV is required to ensure the car is roadworthy, meaning safe to drive.

How Do I Apply for a Rebuilt Car Title in New Hampshire?

After your salvage vehicle passes the New Hampshire salvage vehicle inspection, you are eligible to apply for a rebuilt car title and registration with the NH DMV. The process of retitling and registering your salvage vehicle in New Hampshire is almost the same as titling and registering a newly purchased vehicle. The only difference in this situation is that you must include the Salvage Vehicle Identification Number Verification Form (Form DSMV 547) and the salvage title.

Once you have the car’s rebuilt title and registration, you have no more than 10 days to complete a safety inspection, which is not the same as a salvage inspection.

New Hampshire Safety Inspections

The NH DMV requires your vehicle to pass a safety inspection within 10 days of receiving the NH vehicle registration. You must visit a state-approved inspection station for an inspector to verify that the basic legal and safety requirements are met with specific vehicle components, such as the following:

  • License plates
  • Wheels and tires
  • Vehicle steering
  • Lights and reflectors
  • Fuel system
  • Wipers
  • Brakes

If your vehicle is a model year 1996 or newer, your vehicle must also pass an On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) test to check the vehicle’s emissions. Once your vehicle passes this diagnostics test, the inspector will give you a completed Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR). Keep this document in your vehicle as proof that your vehicle is up to the NH DMV’s standards.

How Long Does It Take to Receive a Rebuilt Car Title in New Hampshire?

Receiving your New Hampshire rebuilt car title can take anywhere from 5 to 50 calendar days. Once you submit your application, the information you provide must be verified. After the application is approved, your rebuilt car title will be mailed to the owner. The exact time it takes to receive the rebuilt car title depends on the NH DMV’s processing time and the type of application that is submitted. You may be able to rush the processing time on the rebuilt car title for an additional fee.