What Do Mississippi’s DPS & DOR Do?

There are two agencies in Mississippi that handle driver and vehicle services in the state:

The Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks Department handles boat registrations and licenses.

When you move to Mississippi, you must exchange your driver’s license within 60 days and apply for a vehicle registration within 30 days of establishing residency in the state. Vehicle inspections aren’t required for most vehicles.

The DPS also has specific information geared toward its military residents and non-residents, in order to accommodate the unique circumstances that military service brings. Non-residents stationed in Mississippi are not required to get a MN license or registration while serving in the state.

Online and Third-Party Services

The DPS’ online driver services include:

  • Appointments
  • License/ID renewal
  • Duplicate licenses/ID cards
  • Motor vehicle records
  • Reinstatement fee payments
  • Address changes
  • CDL medical card submissions

The DOR’s online vehicle services include:

  • Registration/tag renewals

You can access many licensing, registration, and titling forms online. You can purchase the Mississippi Driver Manual online, in addition to the Motorcycle and Commercial driver handbooks. You can also download a practice test app to prepare before you take your license exam.

The MS DPS and DOR also partner with third-party servicers for tasks like title and tag services, practice testing, motorcycle training and testing, and driver education.

Contact Information

Driver licensing:

Mississippi Department of Public Safety

P.O. Box 958

Jackson, MS 39205

Phone: (601) 987-1212

Office locations

Motor vehicles:

​​Department of Revenue

ATTN: Motor Vehicle

P.O. Box 1033

Jackson, MS 39215

Phone: (601) 923-7200

Tax collector offices