What Do South Dakota’s DPS & MVD Do?

There are two agencies in South Dakota that handle driver licensing and motor vehicle services:

The DPS handles all driver-related services for both new residents and existing SD drivers, including driver’s license, ID card, and learner’s permit applications, road testing, driving records, and commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs).

The MVD handles vehicle registration and titling services for South Dakota residents, including license plate applications, motor vehicle reports, custom license plates, and boat registration.

As a new resident to South Dakota, you must exchange your driver’s license and apply for a vehicle registration within 90 days of establishing residency in the state. At this time, vehicle inspections are not required to register your vehicle in South Dakota.

The DPS also has specific information geared toward its military residents and non-residents, in order to accommodate the unique circumstances that military service brings. Non-residents stationed in South Dakota are not required to get a SD license or registration while serving in the state.

Online and Third-Party Services

The South Dakota DPS and MVD offer online services through their respective websites.

The DPS’ online services include:

The MVD’s online services include:

  • Vehicle registration renewal
  • License plate purchases
  • Address updates
  • Vehicle report of sale
  • Seller’s permit print-outs

You can access many driver licensing forms and motor vehicle forms online. You can also access the South Dakota Driver’s Manual online, in addition to the Motorcycle and Commercial driver handbooks. 

The DPS and MVD partner with a number of authorized third-parties for tasks such as CDL testing, motorcycle training and testing, and driver education.

Contact Information

Department of Public Safety

118 West Capitol Avenue

Pierre, SD  57501


  • General: (605) 773-3178
  • Driver licensing: (605) 773-6883

Office locations

Motor Vehicle Division

445 East Capitol Avenue 

Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: (605) 773-3541

Country treasurer locations