What Does Michigan’s SOS Do?

The Michigan Secretary of State (SOS) handles all services for drivers in the state, including driver licensing and ID card applications and renewals; vehicle titles, registrations, and renewals; driving records; and boat registration. The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) handles boating licenses.

When you move to Michigan, you must exchange your driver’s license and apply for a vehicle registration immediately after establishing residency in the state—there is no grace period. Vehicle inspections aren’t required in the state, except for rebuilt or salvaged vehicles.

The SOS also has specific information geared toward its military residents and non-residents, in order to accommodate the unique circumstances that military service brings. Non-residents stationed in Michigan are not required to get a MI license or registration while serving in the state.

Online and Third-Party Services

The Michigan SOS offers several online services including:

  • Appointment scheduling
  • Driver’s permit and license pre-applications
  • Driver license/ID card renewal
  • Motorcycle endorsements
  • Registration renewals
  • Replacement titles/registrations
  • Plate/tab replacements
  • Address updates
  • Driving records
  • Organ donor registration
  • Voter registration

You can access many licensing and vehicle forms online. You can also access the Michigan Driver Manual online, in addition to the Motorcycle and Commercial driver handbooks.

The MI SOS also partners with third-party servicers to handle tasks such as driver testing, title and tag services, driver education, and motorcycle training and testing.

Contact Information

Secretary of State

430 W. Allegan St.

Richard H. Austin Building, 4th Floor

Lansing, MI 48918

Phone: (888) 767-6424

Office locations