What Does Pennsylvania’s PennDOT Do?

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) handles all services for drivers in the state, including driver licensing and ID card applications and renewals; vehicle titles, registrations, and renewals; and driving records. The PA Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) is responsible for boat/vessel registrations as well as boater education and licensing.

When you move to Pennsylvania, you must exchange your driver’s license within 60 days and apply for a vehicle registration within 20 days of establishing residency in the state. Your vehicle will need to undergo a safety and VIN inspection before it can be titled and registered in Pennsylvania. Additionally, depending on which county you’re registering your vehicle in, it will need to undergo an emissions inspection.

PennDOT also has specific information geared toward its military residents and non-residents, in order to accommodate the unique circumstances that military service brings. Non-residents stationed in Pennsylvania are not required to get a PA license or registration while serving in the state.

Online and Third-Party Services

PennDOT offers several online services, including:

You can access many licensing and registration forms online. You can also access the Pennsylvania Driver Manual online, in addition to the Motorcycle and Commercial driver handbooks. Looking to study for your license exam? PennDOT offers online practice tests to help you ace your written test, as well as practice test apps for both iPhones and Android devices.

PennDOT partners with third-party servicers for title and registration tasks, emissions testing, safety inspections, motorcycle training and testing, and CDL skills testing in the state.

Contact Information

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services

Riverfront Office Center

1101 S. Front St.

Harrisburg, PA 17104

Phone: (717) 787-2838

Office locations