What Does The New Hampshire DMV Do?

The New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handles all services for drivers in the state, including driver licensing and ID card applications and renewals; vehicle titles, registrations, and renewals; driving records; and boat registrations. The New Hampshire State Police’s Marine Patrol Unit is responsible for mandatory boater education and licensing.

When you move to New Hampshire, you must exchange your driver’s license and apply for a vehicle registration within 60 days of establishing residency in the state. Within 10 days of registration, your vehicle will also need to undergo a safety and emissions inspection at a DMV-licensed inspection location.

The DMV also has specific information geared toward its military residents and non-residents, in order to accommodate the unique circumstances that military service brings. Non-residents stationed in New Hampshire are not required to get a NH license or registration while serving in the state.

Online and Third-Party Services

The New Hampshire DMV offers several online services, including:

  • Appointments
  • Driver test scheduling
  • Driver license/ID card renewal
  • Driver license/ID card replacement
  • CDL medical card updates
  • Driving records
  • Address changes

You can access many licensing and registration forms online. You can also access the New Hampshire Driver Handbook online, in addition to the Motorcycle and Commercial driver handbooks. 

The NH DMV also partners with third-party servicers for title and registration tasks, emissions testing, driver’s education and training, and motorcycle training and testing in the state.

Contact Information

NH Department of Safety

Division of Motor Vehicles 

23 Hazen Drive

Concord, NH 03305

Phone: (603) 227-4000

Office locations