What Does The Washington DOL Do?

The Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) handles all services for drivers in the state, including driver licensing and ID card applications and renewals; vehicle titles, registrations, and renewals; boat registration; and driving records. The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission is responsible for boater education and licensing.

When you move to Washington, you must exchange your driver’s license and apply for a vehicle registration within 30 days of establishing residency in the state. You must first get your driver’s license before you can register your car in the state.

The DOL also has specific information geared toward its military residents and non-residents, in order to accommodate the unique circumstances that military service brings. Non-residents stationed in Washington are not required to get a WA license or registration while serving in the state.

Online and Third-Party Services

The WA DOL offers several online services, including:

  • Appointments
  • Driver license/ID card renewal
  • Driver license/ID card replacement
  • Reinstatement fee payments
  • Registration renewal
  • Duplicate registration issuance
  • Boat registration renewal
  • Vehicle and vessel report of sale
  • Address changes
  • Driving records

You can access many licensing and registration forms online. You can also access the Washington Driver Manual, in addition to the Motorcycle and Commercial driver handbooks. Looking to study for your license exam? The DMV offers an online practice test to give you the extra prep you need.

The Washington DOL partners with third-party servicers for title and registration tasks, driver training and testing, motorcycle training and testing, and CDL training and testing in the state.

Contact Information

Department of Licensing

PO Box 9030

Olympia, WA 98507


  • Driver licensing: (360) 902-3900 
  • Vehicle registration: (360) 902-3770

Office locations