What Does Wyoming’s WYDOT Do?

The Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) handles all services for drivers in the state, including driver licensing and ID card applications and renewals; vehicle titles, registrations, and renewals; and driving records. The Game and Fish Department is responsible for boat registration as well as boater safety and licensing.

When you move to Wyoming, you must exchange your driver’s license and apply for a vehicle registration within 1 year of establishing residency in the state, UNLESS you are moving from one of five specific states—in which case, you must apply for a driver’s license immediately. Prior to registering your vehicle, you’ll need to take it to a participating law enforcement location for a VIN inspection.

Active-duty military residents of Wyoming stationed out-of-state may apply for an expiration date waiver. Present your military ID when you apply for a driver’s license to have an “I” restriction notated on your credential—this waives your license expiration as long as you have your military ID or active duty orders with you. Non-residents stationed in Wyoming are not required to get a WY license or registration while serving in the state.

Online and Third-Party Services

Wyoming’s online driver and vehicle services are offered on the county level, rather than through the state DOT website. Check your local county treasurer’s website to see what you’re able to accomplish online.

You can access many licensing and registration forms online through WYDOT. You can also access the Wyoming Driver Manual, in addition to the Motorcycle and Commercial driver handbooks. 

WYDOT partners with third-party servicers for license exam practice tests, driver education and driver training, motorcycle training and testing, and CDL training and testing in the state.

Contact Information

Department of Transportation

5300 Bishop Blvd.

Cheyenne, WY 82009

Phone: (307) 777-4375

Driver exam stations

County treasurer offices